Evictions (Residential)


NOTICE: For information on rent relief (help paying past due rent), please see: Housing is Key 


  • State Landlord/Tenant Self-Help
  • Eviction Defense Collaborative:  (415) 947-0797
  • Bar Association of San Francisco: (415) 989-1616
  • Bay Area Legal Aid Phone: (800) 551-5554
  • La Raza Centro Legal Phone: (415) 575-3500
  • CA State Bar Association Phone: (866) 442-2529

In order to evict a tenant, a landlord must first get a court order giving him/her the right to have the apartment or house back from the tenant. The landlord will have to file an Unlawful Detainer case after first giving the tenant a written notice. Usually it is a 3-day, 30-day, 60-day or 90-day notice.

If you need to evict a tenant, or if you are a tenant and your landlord is trying to evict you, the ACCESS Center can show you how to fill out the forms and understand the eviction process if you qualify for our services. Different counties have different rules, so it is important that you talk to an attorney in your county.